Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:29:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dan & Lu:

>Surflan and Roundup mixed sure work well for me too.  I use 3 oz of
>Surflan and 12oz of Roundup in 4 gallons of water and spray this mix
>on 1,000 square feet.

Over kill!  The recommended concentration for Roundup is 2 oz per
gallon.  However, one oz per gallon works just fine.  If you have some
stubborn broadleaf weeds that Roundup doesn't handle with one spraying
or you really need a high concentration of Roundup, just use one oz
per gallon and add a little 2,4-D.  Using 1 oz instead of 2 might take
a few days longer to see the weeds dying, but otherwise works just
fine.

The amount of Surflan you use depends on the soil type you have and
the length of time you want it to be effective.  Putting 3 oz on 1,000
sq ft is way too much.  Surflan has a low level of solubility, but
putting on an excess will wash some of the surflan down deeper into
the soil then you may want, especially if you get a large amount of
rain after applying it.  If you put too much on at one time you may
have problems latter on if you try to plant new hostas to the area.
What you really want to do is to put just enough on in the late winter
before the hostas come up so that you see some weeds starting to show
up in early fall.  That tells you that you aren't building up an
excessive concentration in the soil.

Joe Halinar