Re: Pond Location--Not a hosta question

  • Subject: Re: Pond Location--Not a hosta question
  • From: <n.irwin@kipco-online.com>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:55:57 -0400

I hate to disagree, but maybe the fact that I've never had a pond anyplace
but under trees clouds my thinking.

Cleaning out my 1,300 gallon pond, even without a center drain, is not that
big a deal.  I've kept up with it using a swimming pool thingy for 2 years
now ... a couple of hours a week has kept it rather pristine.

After my 3rd death from bird netting, I gave up on it.  The dead vole didn't
disturb me too much, but a bird got caught and drowned, and then a fish got
caught and also drowned when the weight of the leaves put the netting in the
water.  Netting isn't worth it, from my perspective.

There are some bacteria that help with keeping the water clean.

My fat goldfish are still fat after making it through the winter.  The first
year I lost everything due to lack of oxygen.  I now own a stock tank heater
and some aeration gizmo to keep the water open all year.  This also makes
the National Wildlife Foundation happy with my Backyard Wildlife Habitat.

I am repotting many of the plants that I've finally learned how to keep
alive in there.

Try rec.ponds for some good advice.

Nancy
Zone 5  Cleveland, OH