Gold, Yellow, Weather

  • Subject: Gold, Yellow, Weather
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:00:37 -0400 (EDT)

I wish that early hosta enthusiasts had never chosen to use the word gold
to describe the color of some hostas. It's a romantic myth. Hostas are
yellow. Hostas are chartreuse. But, hostas are not gold.  With that said I
was just wandering around in my garden as it was starting to hail. A few
days ago we had an earthquake, 3 days ago snow and ice, and  I expect that
Tennessee and Kansas are now sending tornadoes our way here in Vermont. I
was wandering around in the hail because I thought I had better enjoy the 8
hostas that had been foolish enough to unfurl, while I could.

Five of the eight hostas I have, that are bravely confronting the current
weather tantrums, are GOLD.  Four of these golds are merely  wonderful and
two spectacular: H.'Longipes Ogan Amagi', and H. 'Pee Dee Gold Flash'
(wonderful) and  H. 'Fire Island' , and H.'Mountain Sunrise' are
spectacular.  There are others that will be great  too including  H. 'Sea
Fire', but right now  they remain underground (smart).

There is a poem by Robert Frost which covers the subject.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.