Re: Biographical beds of living hybridizers

  • Subject: Re: Biographical beds of living hybridizers
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:26:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/2002 9:58:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hostahill@msn.com writes:

Vaughn's: Peter Ruh and Van Wade

Good morning, George:

I contacted Peter last year, and he said that he didn't have any of Kevin's hosta I was looking for.  On the other hand, Van had several of the hosta I was looking for.  Jim Schwarz, Jim's Hosta, contacted me that he has 'Polly Bishop'.

It's the collectors like yourself, Kevin Walek, Dan Nelson, Jim Hawes, Hideko Gowen, Ken Ziarek, Mark Zilis, Loletta Powell, John Kee, Tim Saville, and countless others that potentially could assist me in my efforts.  Roughly in the last five years, there has been many NR Vaughn hosta's brought into the trade (mostly by TC)...'Nancy Gill', 'Back Bay', Blue Bayou', 'Babbling Brooke', 'Angel Feathers', 'Standing Ovation', & 'Heart's Content' just to name a few.

As an aside: there are those hosta coming out from China and Japan by the 'plant hunters'...Dan Hinckley, Tony Avent, Darrell Probst, & Roy Herold to name a few.  Plant importer's in Holland and Belgium that we get pix of from Hugo Philips. Occasionally, we get some 'new' hosta pix from Toyozo Nakayama.  Private Japanese hosta collection's formerly of Bette Comfry & Robyn Duback.

I imagine that the private collectors and public gardens will be where the 'historical' hosta will remain.

I apologize for the soap box ramblings.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA