Another seriously dumb question

  • Subject: Another seriously dumb question
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:06:12 -0500

Honest, folks, the books don't tell  you this stuff.  You may recall that I
thought my hostas had been abducted by aliens when they vanished last winter
and then didn't come up when most everything else did.

Well, they all came up, and they are way bigger than they were.  The last
one in the front shade bed unfortunately came up under a hellebore and I
couldn't get the hellebore up with a trowel, so I took out the hosta.  That
wasn't easy, either, for it had made a root ball about the size of a
softball.  But I was afraid to go get a spade for fear I'd cut up
everything.

So, my question is, do hostas flourish in pots?  I expect that people who
show their hostas have them in pots, but I wonder if this is a long term
thing.  I now have three in pots, the one that whatever bugs were attacking
relentlessly in the front bed, one that was eaten to the ground in the back
yard last year and I never expected to see again but it came up, and this
one I detached from the hellebore.

Evidently this is a good climate and soil, basic old piney woods soil with
amendments, for perennials to flourish, because everything I stuck in the
ground last year is up again.  Even the caladiums, which really like a warm
soil before they poke out in the spring.  There are some holdover amaryllis
from the previous owners that are blooming like crazy, a red and a white.  I
wouldn't have planted them, but they're there and happy, so they may stay.

I'm pretty impressed with the growth  of the hostas, and they must have been
busy underground all that time to come up with so much more plant than I put
in the ground last summer.  Pretty gratifyiing!

Ann James
Conroe, Texas Zone 8