Final Book List?

  • Subject: Final Book List?
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:04:11 -0500

This is my final list with some notes pasted on from 3 of you who were kind
enough to send comments. I don't think I missed any of your contributions,
but snow has returned again and I am befuddled. My thanks to all.... glen

The Hosta Book...Paul Aden   (2 editions)

The Genus Hosta.......George Schmid

2002 American Hosta Guide...Van Wade

The Hosta Handbook.....Mark Zillis

The Gardener's Growing Guide to Growing Hostas.....Diana Grenfell

The Flowering Foliage Plant...Diana Grenfell

Hostas ....Sandra Bond 1992
* The German Sandra Bond book is a translation of her
English book.

Hosta Sports from Species.....Ben Zonneveld (and others)

 The Aristocrat for Shady Gardens....Eunice Fisher

 Hosta (Funkien) in German 1993
*Kohlein, F. Hosta {Funkien}, Ulmer, Stuttgart, Germany, 1993.  In German
* Koehlein's is quite detailed
and mentions some of the German "Tardianas" that went to Klose which
Klosefurther developed and some named. Unfortunately no connection is
madebecause all the Germans obtained were unnamed seedlings.

 Grenfell Hostas (RHS Wisley Handbook) 2002

 Giboshi ...Watanabe (In Japanese)
*1985 The Observation and Cultivation of Hosta, New Science Company,
Tokyo, 1985.   In Japanese only.
*The Watanabe book is sparsely illustrated but has both color and B/W.

 Hostas R. Milette (in French) 2003)

 Hostas 1999........ R. Bird.
 *The R. Bird/D. Tarrant book is out of print but still available on the
Amazon website(search for "hostas").

The Hosta Adventure .......AHS , C.H. F

 RHS Wisley Handbook series "HOSTAS"........ by Diana Grenfell Photos by
Mike Shadrack
* RHS Wisley Handbook series "HOSTAS" written by Diana Grenfell Photography
by Mike Shadrack. Available only in the UK for now.... unless we stumble
across you somewhere. Will be on sale at the convention

The Grenfell/Shadrack book from Timber
* The Colo(u)r Encyclopedia of Hostas.  This won't be
out till next fall.
*This has been delayed somewhat and will be out in 2004?

 Eureka Hosta Reference Book

 *Eureka was one of the smart ones that advertised in the Journal.  Their ad
appears in the next issue you will see.  Pages 34 and 35. *Eureka Hosta
2003 Reference Guide 2003 from gardeneureka.com (just pictures

"The Hosta Adventure"  The American Hosta Society

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839