The Final, Final Book List

  • Subject: The Final, Final Book List
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:42:54 -0500

Hi Guys,

  There were some corrections and some additions.My motives for this were a
cartoon, so I was a little careless..apologies...but I got my cartoon. I
think I may have it right this time. Actually, if someone wanted to gussy
this up a bit with  what is in print, out of print, addresses,
blurbs.....it might make a good filler for some Hosta Newsletters this
spring/ summer when you want to be outside in the garden rather than inside
putting out a newsletter for everybody else who is outside in their gardens
...while you are inside (there is a horrible loop there) slaving over a hot
computer.   glen

The Hosta Book...Paul Aden   (2 editions)

The Genus Hosta.......George Schmid
* YOU CAN'T DO WITHOUT THIS BOOK.

2002 American Hosta Guide...Van Wade
*This is an incredible resource...and inexpensive.

The Hosta Handbook.....Mark Zilis
* I really hope Mark gives us Hosta Handbook II

The Gardener's Growing Guide to Growing Hostas.....Diana Grenfell

The Flowering Foliage Plant...Diana Grenfell

Hostas ....Sandra Bond 1992
* The German Sandra Bond book is a translation of her
English book.

Hosta Sports from Species.....Ben Zonneveld (and others)

 Hosta: The Aristocrat Plant for Shady Gardens by Eunice Fisher....
*Forward by Ken Anderson, first printed in 1979 and reprinted in 1992 on
the Mount Union College Press.

 Hosta (Funkien) in German 1993
*Kohlein, F. Hosta {Funkien}, Ulmer, Stuttgart, Germany, 1993.  In German
only.
* Koehlein's is quite detailed
and mentions some of the German "Tardianas" that went to Klose which
Klosefurther developed and some named. Unfortunately no connection is
madebecause all the Germans obtained were unnamed seedlings.

 Grenfell Hostas (RHS Wisley Handbook) 2002

 Giboshi ...Watanabe (In Japanese)
*1985 The Observation and Cultivation of Hosta, New Science Company,
Tokyo, 1985.   In Japanese only.
*The Watanabe book is sparsely illustrated but has
both color and B/W.

 Hostas R. Milette (in French) 2003)

 Hostas 1999........ R. Bird.
 *The R. Bird/D. Tarrant book is out of print but still available on the
Amazon website(search for "hostas").

The Hosta Adventure .......AHS
*Regarding The Hosta Adventure, Kevin W. wrote the first draft, C.H. added
two chapters and  Jim Wilkins added one.  Warren  P. added a couple of
sections to the chapters. All edited it.  Kevin W. selected  the pictures,
and he and CH  did the final proofing.  Janet Mills and her sister did the
layout.** Now there is the model of a team effort...and  we got a great
book and not a camel.

 RHS Wisley Handbook series "HOSTAS"........ by Diana Grenfell Photos by
Mike Shadrack
* RHS Wisley Handbook series "HOSTAS" written by Diana Grenfell Photography
by Mike Shadrack. Available only in the UK for now.... unless we stumble
across you somewhere. Will be on sale at the convention
*This is available from amazon.com, but  for some reason it does not turn
up when your search on "hostas" or on "Diana Grenfell". Search on the ISBN
instead: 0304362883.
Or go here:
Publisher's details are at:
http://www.sterlingpub.com/search/SearchBookDisplay.asp?BookKey=176500

The Grenfell/Shadrack book from Timber
* The Colo(u)r Encyclopedia of Hostas.  This won't be
out till next fall.
*This has been delayed somewhat and will be out in 2004?

 Eureka Hosta Reference Book

 *Eureka was one of the smart ones that advertised in the Journal.  Their ad
appears in the next issue you will see.  Pages 34 and 35. *Eureka Hosta
2003 Reference Guide 2003 from gardeneureka.com (just pictures
mostly)

'Hostas, The New Plant Library'..... by Andrew Mikolajski
*With Diana Grenfell as a consultant.

 Hostas.... by Diana Grenfell
*Hardy Plant Society booklet, published 1993, called Hostas. It contains 20
odd pages of Hostas to grow and some great line drawings of hosta as well
as the regular chapters on uses cultivation etc.

For even greater value see The American Hosta Journal series on specific
hybridizers as compiled by Alex G. Malloy.The series so far contains the
following listings: Ralph H. Benedict: Paul Aden; Mary Chastain;  Nancy
Minks : Robert & Dennis Savory.
* Kudos to Alex Malloy...this is a great contribution to The Hosta Journal

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156