Re: Whats the Diff? Sea Dragon

  • Subject: Re: Whats the Diff? Sea Dragon
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:43:45 EST

In a message dated 4/2/03 3:52:50 PM, Michael.Pinterics@med.ge.com writes:

<< This may have come up before but I've still gotta ask as I personally

don't know the anwser.....

Sea Dragon and Dragon Lady....

Both Seaver Intro's.... Are they same or different.

I have Dragon Lady but know nothing about Sea Dragon.

Mike and All,
I have all three names, Dragon Lady, Sea Dragon And Sea Lady Dragon listed in
my data bank.  They were recorded at different times but all show Mildred
Seaver as Originator. All are listed large, or medium large and the plant
color is listed as green.  My best guess is they are all one and the same
hosta.  I will call 'Sea Dragon' as being the correct one as it is also
listed in the 'iac' list. Your guess then could be as good as mine.

All three names are on 'not registered' hostas.  So anybody can use the names
up to the time they want to register it.  It will be interesting to find out
if these new hostas with the name Dragon Lady , etc., are from Seavers or
just another introduction of one kind or another.  The data bank reveals many
instances where there are several plants with the same name.

One of the problems that we face is the mistaken spelling, etc., of names.
Early this week someone submitted a picture of 'Regal Splendens.'  However
the picture was of 'Regal Splendor.' Just in case some wayward data collector
records this error I shall add it to my list of 'errors in spelling.'  Who
knows, It could be next as 'Regal Splender,' or 'Regal Splendour,'  Now
wouldn't that be splendiferous?

For good reading watch for Warren Pollock's column called 'What's in a Hosta
Name' that appears in many American Hosta Journals.

Mike Lemke