Re: Deer Off

Thanks Sarah. I'll surely keep this in mind, but, oh, boy, does that sound like it would end up being a lot of work!

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 09:18 PM, Sarah Jayne wrote:

Hi Alteera,

I have been very satisfied with the product, "Deer Off" which is a
combination of dried putrified egg and chili or something like that. It
doesn't smell bad (to me) but to the deer it must be horrible because my
plants are spared despite their nightly presence. The ratio is 1 to 7 parts
water and you spray it on. It seems to remain through even heavy rain but I
tend not to take chances on my most prized hostas. Also, at this time of
year I spray every 4 or 5 days to cover the new rampant growth. It does
leave a slight spotting (kind of like hardwater will do on glass) but I find
that to be a non-issue considering the trade-off. The concentrate is about
$22 per quarter--expensive but I'm finding that one quart does me through
spring (gradens here and there on about 5 acres). Once plants reach full
size, I only re-spray if we've had lots and lots of rain. Also, I have found
that I'm more inclined to keep up on spraying if I mix up some in a half
gallon plastic juice container and then shake and pour out what I need in a
smaller quart sprayer. Be sure to really clean out the spray and spray clear
water through it as I think this stuff would dry hard (like the egg-based
tempera paintings from the 1300's!). Bambi-lovers would approve!

Best wishes,
Sarah Jayne
Goochland, Virginia
website: oldgarden.com