AHS 2003 National Convention

  • Subject: AHS 2003 National Convention
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:45:14 EDT

Dear Fellow Hosta Gardener:

Tomorrow is May 1, and that leaves just 15 more days to register for the 2003
convention without paying the $100 late fee.  Registrations postmarked after
May 15, 2003 will be subject to the $100 late fee.  (Note: the deadline for
hotel registrations, as noted below, is May 18; so don't confuse these two

You may have received a letter from our convention registrar, Sandie
Markland, which I have liberally excerpted here:

The Potomac Hosta Club has the honor and privilege of hosting the 2003 AHS
Convention in Falls Church, Virginia, this June.  Although you may have
recently received your copy of The Hosta Journal and the invitation it
contains, We want to extend to you a this personal invitation to be a part of
"A Monumental Moment: The 2003 American Hosta Society National Convention."

A variety of exciting activities have been planned for your enjoyment
including plant sales, a Hosta Show with leaf and plant entries from around
the country, plant auctions, raffles and a book signing by respected author
W. George Schmid who will speak on his newly published work, An Encyclopedia
of Shade Perennials.  Of course, no AHS Convention would be complete without
breathtaking garden tours, a mouth watering array of luncheon and banquet
meals and, on Friday evening, an after dinner discourse by the always
entertaining and informative Bob Solberg of Greenhill Farm.

Don't miss this opportunity to rub elbows with fellow hosta enthusiasts from
around the world!  Now is the time to make plans to join us for "A Monumental
Moment" in the beautiful outskirts of our Nation's Capital and reserve your
very own gift plant --- H. 'Fallen Angel', a magnificent sport of H.
'Guardian Angel' which will sweep you off your feet!  If you've never
attended an AHS National Convention, this is an excellent place to start --
and don't miss the newcomers' meeting hosted by Sandie Markland on Thursday,
June 19th.  Hosta people are wonderful and I am certain you will have a great
time and make many new friends!

A registration form can be found on page 10 of Volume 33, Number 3 of The
Hosta Journal, or at the official AHS site, <A HREF="www.hosta.org">www.hosta.org</A>. If you have
questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact
Sandie Markland by phone at 703-690-3021 or at sam020857@msn.com.  You can
also obtain additional information by visiting <A HREF="www.StayAtMarriott.com/PotomacHostaClub">
www.StayAtMarriott.com/PotomacHostaClub</A> or the official AHS site, <A HREF="www.hosta.org">

HOTEL INFORMATION: Make reservations directly with the hotel. Please call the
Fairview Park Marriott at (703) 849- 9400 or (800) 228-9290, or, to make your
reservations on line, go to <A HREF="http://www.stayatmarriott.com/PotomacHostaClub";>http://www.stayatmarriott.com/PotomacHostaClub</A>.
When calling, callers must mention Potomac Hosta. This will enable the caller
to receive the group rate of $117.00 Single/Double (excludes taxes). All
HOTEL  REGISTRATIONS must be made prior to May 18, 2003, to obtain the block
room rate.

   Take care!  I look forward to seeing you in June!

Kevin P. Walek
Convention Co-Chair