Thanks and a Thought

  • Subject: Thanks and a Thought
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:21:41 -0400

Dear Fellow Hosta Folk,

 I found that I just went to the Hosta Library for the 5 th  time in 2
days. I have taken it for granted for along time now. Does any other plant
have such a treasure dedicated to it? What Bob Axmer (sp?) has done remains
an effort so vast that one can't even begin to imagine the hours that go
into.  I not only want to say thanks again but want to make a mild
suggestion. Local and regional hosta clubs raise money for a variety of
reasons. Some no doubt worthy, some interesting, and some having more to do
with club vanity than the real promotion of hostas and the spread of good

I was asked the other day by a friend  how a hosta club might spend its
money. Withiout thinking I said a no-strings-donation to the Hosta Library.
I suppose that there is a separation of church and state here in terms of
the AHS and other entities. Still I like my idea a lot...which I often do
in rerspect to my ideas.  I suppose that the AHS itself couldn't be
convinced that a donnation to the Hosta Library would be a wonderful idea
because of the church and state thing...but it is a wonderful idea. Even is
the AHS can't really do it, I'll bet that regional clubs could. It would be
a great way of saying thanks for what some of us have come to see as a
major source of what is out there...and there is all the other stuff the
site offers too.

32 degrees here this morning in Vermont. Pips are peaking out of the
ground. The two days of 80 degrees made a promise that can not be kept in
April in Vermont.   glen

"A book is a mirror. If an ass peers into it, you can't expect an apostle
to look out." Lichtenberg

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont