RE: Thanks and a Thought

  • Subject: RE: Thanks and a Thought
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: 22 Apr 2004 13:39:15 -0600

Dear Glen & Open'ers,

Yes, the Hosta Library has become a valuable resource.

Here is a suggestion for the AHS for future, annual registrations.  With the registration application, a photo should be accompanying the registration, according to the current submission instructions at Hosta.org.  This photo could be scanned, then the digital image dispatched to Bob Axmear, or his designee, and the photo could be posted to the Hosta Library with some timeliness, say within 60-90 days of registration.

To facilitate more photos being available at the Hosta Library site, the registration fee could include a surcharge of $5, say effective July 1, 2004, or Jan 1, 2005.  Said surcharge would be forwarded to the the Hosta Library as a token appreciation of the posting.  Four times per year seems sufficient.  A volunteer with a scanner could certainly take this work load off of Jim Wilkins, if Bob A. is not ready, willing, or able.   For 200-300 registrations, it might take 16-20 hours per year to scan them all, and format to a standard size.

In addition, such photos should be available to others at a cost of $2.50-5 per photo, payable to the AHS (copyright retained, of course).  ($2.50 for orders of 40 or more photos, or something like that).    These would be in digital format, saved to a CD, or emailed.   Or, for something like $250, a purchaser could get the entire database on CD, for personal use, or maybe $500 for commercial use (or $100 with any lifetime membership purchase?).

The prices are all strictly conjecture--I haven't done any study of what the market demand would be, nor of what the market would bare.  However, revenues could help defray the cost of database preparation, web site hosting, etc.

If I am late on this and it is already being done with the New Hosta.org database, then I'll use the excuse that I live under a Hosta leaf.   However, last time I checked, Bernie Diesen was still a very busy man and database creation at the AHS web site was a work in progress.   Why not just say, "uncle" until Bob Axmear says, "I quit".

I know this may be somewhat controversial but as I look through registration books over and over again, attempting to picture in my mind's eye what new plants look like, and the level of interest I should have in a cultivar based on the genetically controlled hybridizing efforts of the originator, or the luck of the bees, or the keen eye of an observant sports fan, etc., it occurs to me that a picture is worth a thousand words.

The Hosta Library currenlty supplies most of those pictures and the plaque was well earned in 2000.

The garden beckons me ... "move away from the keyboard".

Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!