Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #5 (RE: One inch of water is....)

  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #5 (RE: One inch of water is....)
  • From: Diane <trueblue2@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:25:53 -0400

OK, it's great to know the scientific/mathematical calculation of how
much one inch of water per week is, but some gardeners will need this in
layman's terms.  I was told a simple method of determining this about 15
years ago, and it works for me.

One inch of water per week is enough water to soak most soil types to a
depth of 12".   Of course, looser sandy soils will soak to that depth
more quickly.  How to determine if you have enough without digging a big
hole?  A rain guage is a great tool.  If you don't use a rain guage,
however, you can use an old 2 quart saucepan (a beat up $.50 one from a
garage sale is good).  When watering, or during rainstorms, you'll know
you have gotten one inch of rain when the saucepan is filled.

Diane Frederick