Re: Question

  • Subject: Re: Question
  • From: "Bill Nash" raffi@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:07:47 -0400

Rich Horowitz etcetera --- RE: your wondering --- how does one get a streaked
or variegated
 progeny when the pod parent is not streaked

WELL -- I recall -- many years ago, the late Mr. James Hawes, Mr. Peter Ruh
and myself, were talking about the possibility and feasability: of getting a
streaky-leaf BREEDER-seed-kid, from a non-striated leaf pod-parent...

Our general concensus of agreement on this topic -- was that -- a streaky seed
kid would very likely result, if and when, a huge number of seedlings were
grown from a single pod parent.  Say FOR EXAMPLE, by growing 100-thousand
offspring plants, or a larger quantity, (even millions of seeds>) from a
single pod parent.

I personally did do a very special experiment related to the above notion,
that is to say, almost 100,000 seedling-plants were sprouted and grown in a
very perfect greenhouse environment; with all of this seed coming from
sieboldiana Elegans hosta (open pollinated).  NINE of these seed-kids were of
the streaky leaf form.

<just a thought>