Re: Question

I think 'Frances Williams' was especially troublesome, but it is not all that uncommon for non-streaked plants to have streaked or verigated seedlings. My seedling 'Sgt Pepper' came before I started breeding with streaked plants. I don't know the parentage, but it wasn't streaked.
Variegated seedlings are much easier with streaked pod parents, but they also come from non-streaked plants. It's just much more infrequent to get streaking or verigation from non-streaked plants.
Chick

ctuttle39@juno.com wrote:

Herb Benedict said that he grew out over 100,000 seedlings (H. 'Frances
Williams' selfed) before he got H. 'Dorothy Benedict' - so, according to
him it is possible but a remote occurrence.
Charles