Re: Question

  • Subject: Re: Question
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

George, A recent finding suggest, or does in fact,
proves a mechanism where RNA works to cause a mutation
to revert or repaired from the plants point of view.
Most have seen a sport, then the following or 2nd year
it's gone. Mutations may appear more often but they
must be captured or lost. If the Japanese are
searching often then they may find more and excise
them before they revert. This may explain the plant
that reverts. I'm not talking about an all green eye
that out grows the smaller variegated sport. I'm
talking about the one eye or leaf that has sported
then poof it's gone.
--- "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
> Occasionally the "usual" way of variegated
> inheritance (maternally inherited
> chimeral rearrangement from a streaked mother plant)
> is not the cause, when
> a green or variegated plant produces a mutation. The
> occurrence is at least
> 100,000:1 (as Herb demonstrated). In the wild it is
> probably less than that,
> possibly 500:000:1 (no one has conducted field
> studies to find out) and that
> Japanese are combing their woods to find these
> mutations in natural
> populations, and find them they do.
> Occasionally, variegated plants can produce
> reversed, yellow or green
> offspring by chimeral rearrangement (when cells
> exchange between different
> layers so no change in the DNA takes place). George
> W. George Schmid
> Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
> Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
> 84-12'-30" West_33-51' North