Re: Weed control

In late fall I clean my beds by cutting off and removing all plants.  During
this time I also do any weeding that may need to be done.  I then top dress
with a 1 1/2" - 2" layer of mulch.

In the spring before anything is emerging I use a handheld spreader and whirl
PREEM on all my beds.  At this same time I put my spring fertilizer on of
13-13-13.  It works wonders.  Next to no weeds.  As long as one does not
break the preem barrier there will be no weeds.  Once you do thou, you will
need to reapply because the weeds are guaranteed to return (experience spoken
here).  Last year I applied the preem in the spring and did not feel I needed
to do it again, very few weeds in the fall as well.
Joyce, Zone 5