Re: Using Round-Up in Hosta Beds

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:
> I use the spray occasionally during the spring in hosta beds to kill
> broad-leaf "weeds." It sure beats pulling them out manually. It should be
> employed on a still day. I find that it is not very effective in killing lawn
> grasses.
> If a little bit hits a hosta leaf, very little injury, if any at all, will
> occur. (This is based on my experiences, using Round-Up.)
> Clyde Crockett z5 Indy IN
We have used Round Up for a number of years, with few problems.  As
Clyde says , Hostas , even when the leaves are unfurled, are quite
tolerant .  Daulilies, and many other prennials, however are not!  We
keep some old nursery pots, stackes up, and before spraying, place them
over any plant that has foliage showing ( even Hostas).  Sure that
leaves a little space around the plant to weed, but that is a smell
price to pay.