RE: hosta problems - the nightmare

Stacy:

>THESE HOSTAS HAD BUDS ON THEM LAST WEEK! This is what puzzles me the
>most. I would not be surprised if the hosta had trouble over our very
>wet and weird winter,

It sounds like you could have an infection of Erwinia.  A most nasty
bacteria to get.  Spreads rapidly and destruction is swift.

If you see a hosta bud getting soft/mushy, you might want to dig it
up, cut off the soft bud and leave the side buds if they are not soft.
Then dry the top off - put the roots in a planting mix and leave the
top of the crown exposed.  Might even want to dust the cut surface
with some dusting sulfur and talc.

You will most likely want to improve the drainage in the affected
area.  If it is Erwinia the whole area should probably be considered
contaminated.

I'm not sure if agricultural streptomycin will control Erwinia.  It's
not expensive if you have some farm stories in your area.

Joe Halinar