RE: hosta problems - the nightmare-all the variables

Here are the outstanding responses from this problem (thank you all) and
the answers to the questions.

Standing water?  Not a chance.  But possibility of the "bathtub effect"
from planting in heavy clay is a possibility, but I don't believe that's
the case.

Lots of leaves on top rotting the crown/buds?  No.  We clean all of our
beds in the fall with a gigantic leaf sucker, and the few leaves that do
blow in from the woods don't cover the buds.

Too dry?  This could be possible, but I really doubt this too.  I went
through many of the beds and dug into them a few weeks ago, afraid that
they were dry (when we had a three week dry spell), but found that they
were nice and moist (not wet) underneath the mulch.

Erwinia bacterial infection?  This really worries me.  Could anybody
elaborate on this?

Stacy

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute