Re: hosta problems - the nightmare-one more thing

>Stacy,
>
>The first question I would ask is if you did anything different this year as
>opposed to last of before.  Have you used fertilizer?  A different one than
>before, perhaps with high urea?  That could cause the symptoms I think I
>hear from your nightmare questions.  I did that once before, same year Gil
>Jones did, too.  I decided to quit using urea!
>

>C. H. Falstad
>Prime Plants TM
>chf@macatawa.org

The one item I forgot to include in the summary before was anything
different as far as fertilizer, etc.: we did indeed fertilize a lot more
last year.  Mostly with Miracid; but here is something that I just
remembered that may be a factor.

Last year when we ordered some of our hostas late, I grew them in pots that
contained mostly bark chips, a little topsoil and a little greensand.  Now
that I think about it, all of the goners except for one (which I really
think the cats may have had a role in crushing) were part of this "late
season" collection and were for the most part in pots until September or
so, the start of going into dormancy.  Now most that were in this condition
are fine; I don't think that the pot-growing had anything to do with it but
perhaps the bark mix had something in it to encourage fungal/bacterial
problems later on.  Seems funny.

Stacy

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute