Re: Mosses---New(?) Topic

geez, overnight sensation,

thanks for the intro.  i'll start then.  i actually teach a class in moss
gardening at the ichiyo art center (i am an ikebana instructor) here in
atlanta, while all about me are (trying to) kill theirs.
my mosses mainly manifest  themselves on the many rock outcrops (granite), we
enjoy on a wide belt thru this part of the state.  collecting is done with a
cement trowel, or an egg turner type spatula.
collecting time varies, and here, on the rock, co-incide with wettish
periods, when the mosses look their best.  in those fragile environments,
mosses may dry out and become "crunchy" in a short time.
mosses may be transpalnted, and sprigged like sod, into the landscape.  one
word (ya right) of warning, do not prepare the ground as you might for other
plantings.  the soil should be hard as a rock, and be acidic in nature.  lime
is the enemy of mosses.
this brings up another point, when collecting mosses ( legally, of course),
observe where they are collected from:  ie, rock, soil, or wood; and
transplant to the same in the garden.  wood moseswill not survive on soil,
there are two good books on moss and "mosslike" critters.
one is moss gardening
the other is the
"golden book"
guide to mosses and ferns
anyone wishing to be further bored to death by bryophytes is invited to
e me privately, and i do have a short essay (part of my upcoming book)
on moss gardening and the japanese aesthetic.

y'all be real good
harry abel
just nawuth of the big hoochie