Re: Awards and Credits

> I'm just curious....looking through daylilly and iris catalogues, you find
> listed all the various awards received by a certain plant.  How come not
> with hostas?  Yes, occasionally you see"Voted Hosta of the Year" or
> something else, but I find its not the norm in the listings.  Aren't there
> numerous "awards and recognitions"  given out each year?  Why aren't they
> more publicized?  Are they insignificant,  not worthy of mention?  I dunno,
> but if one of my "in my dreams" hosta was recognized by someone or
> something, I'd sure like to see credit given!
> Whats up?
> Barbara
> "township@acbm.qc.ca"
There are lots of awards given out for Hostas.  A very few, are even
meaningfull.  Most , however, are given for "outstanding" plants of one
discription or another, that are not put to a real test.  I refuse to
honor the system, by publishing the award winners.  Many other Hosta
growers seem to feel the same way.  When the AHS comes up with an award
system that has some thought behind it, in stead of the "knee jerk" vote
at a convention , system they are now using, you will see more plants
listed with their rightful awards.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
Dunkirk,  NY  14048                                 (Zone 6-B)