Hosta Experts

Dear All,

I really have enjoyed the postings concerning the Subject topic.

I recall in the first issue of The Hosta Journal that I edited, I referred to
Georg Schmid as an"hosta expert." As soon as he got the issue, Pete Ruh
'phoned me and told me that there were no "hosta experts," but rather persons
who were quite knowledgeable about hostas.

The Awards to which I referred are for "the most garden-worthy" hostas. I
agree that the use of the word "expert" is somewhat unfortunate. Rather, the
members of the Committee are selected because they grow a lot of hostas, have
seen a lot of hostas, and can make comparisons of hostas. A member should be
able to tell a person whether he/she should purchase Pauls Glory or Dick
Ward, assuming the person is going to buy only one; whether one should buy
both Curlew and Camelot; what is the bluest hosta; to have knowledge of poor
growers; whether a hosta is stable; &c.

Clyde "Unexpert" Crockett