Re: Garden Awards

In a message dated 4/18/1999 12:54:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< All
 The above, is how I view the best use of "garden awards".  Awards for
 spicific Hostas, should not be decided in a given garden.
 I agree. I found it somewhat strange that the great majority of members
opposed the
award for best use of hostas in the landscape, but favored the awards for the
best large blue, the best variegated, etc. The reason for opposing the former
was that it would engender unhealthy competition. Gosh! I think the latter
would favor those who had the resources to buy as many great large blues,
variegateds, etc.

I really think the local hosts should reconsider the whole idea of garden
awards. Personally, I never have voted on these. I find the competion a
distraction and distasteful.

Clyde Crockett
P.S. I do still favor something like the sadly missed H. Award. But I think
those yellow and blue and green little flags in respect of particular and
specific hostas tacky and annoying.