Too late, too late!!! :o(

Hi Hosta List,

I went today to inspect part of my Hosta collection I grow in other
place far from where I garden. It is a colder place and I thought I
could be in time to see if slugs and snails had done their nasty job...
Well, I've arrived far too late!!!. On the early sprouting hostas the
foliage was severely ravaged by these %??@ bugs and, frankly, the plants
looked dreadful. The only thing I could do was trying to clean the base
of the plants and shovel some slug bait. I can only check these plants
once a week at the most. Is there any hope for these plants to make some
new growth?. What can I do???. the ammonia solution would help for if
there are critters inside the clumps?. Too late, too late!!! :o(

Greetings,

Jose
Basque Country, coastal Northern Spain, SW Europe
Z9 - Humid oceanic climate