From: Agricell+AEA-aol.com +ADw-Agricell+AEA-aol.com+AD4-
To: plant-tc+AEA-tc.umn.edu +ADw-plant-tc+AEA-tc.umn.edu+AD4-
Date: Monday, April 19, 1999 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: Autoclave indicators

+AD4-Although it is correct that many microorganisms are unable to grow in
plant
+AD4-tissue culture media, a considerable body of work in recent years, e.g.
by
+AD4-R.D. Long et al. at University College Cork and by C. Leifert at the
+AD4-University of Aberdeen have shown that latent microorganisms in plant
tissue
+AD4-cultures can cause disease in micropropagated plantlets, even after
long
+AD4-periods of subculture during which neither symptoms nor evidence of
+AD4-contamination is observed.
+AD4-
+AD4-I must respectfully disagree with David Constantine's definition of
+AD4-contamination. By definition, contamination consists of the presence of
even
+AD4-a single microbial cell or spore.  Although a contaminant may not
necessarily
+AD4-be harmful - indeed it may even be beneficial - it can be ignored only
at
+AD4-your own risk (and that of your customers).
+AD4-
+AD4-Ed Herman
+AD4-Agritech Publications/Agricell Report
+AD4-P.O. Box 255
+AD4-Shrub Oak, NY 10588, U.S.A.
+AD4-Phone/Fax: (914) 528 3469
+AD4-E-mail: AGRICELL+AEA-AOL.COM