Re: Too late, too late!!! :o(

In a message dated 4/19/1999 8:04:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
CCREDUX@aol.com writes:

  Jose and others,
 Are you sure the damage is caused by slugs? It is unlikely that slugs come
 out in cool weather. Could it perhaps be cutworms? Some of my emerging
 have been chewed by these.
 What can you do?
 Apply Sevin around the base of the plants.
 Good luck!
 Clyde >>

Clyde- slugs will over winter next to the eyes of the Hosta and feed on the
eyes in the fall and early spring, chewing large chunks out of the eyes and
the emerging foliage.
My last slug treatment occurs in the late fall just after all the host have
turned yellow or brown and the first treatment is in the spring BEFORE the
eyes emerge out of the ground.
This has worked very well the kill off the little vermin over the last few
Oh please may it never get as bad as it was in 1995! First it was dry and all
the slugs moved out of the woods into my Hosta and then it rained for five
weeks producing a bumper crop of slimmers.