Re: Too late, too late!!! :o(

In a message dated 4/19/1999 10:57:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
CCREDUX@aol.com writes:

 I am certainly not doubting you; but, did you actually see the slugs? Maybe
 do not have the same slugs you do, but mine only make little pinprick holes
 in the leaves. The damage you describe comes from cutworms here. If the
 damage is at base, I think it is the pillbug that is the culprit.
 Clyde >>
Yep seen them, I dig a lot of Hosta every spring and find the slimers in or
next to the eyes with the damage already done. The plants effected most are
those that over winter with the eye half way in the ground with a covering of
leafmold or compost on top of them. the slugs seem to like the softer eyes on
the variegated plants but will feed on anything they find.
If I find any damaged eyes this year I will post a picture on my websight of
Cut worms are one bug I do not have problems with, thankfully.
The pillbugs around here do not eat live plants but feed on decaying matter.

I just knew I should have taken a picture a few years back when I had
problems with the slugs eating on the eyes! Oh well. the damage was below
ground at the base of the eyes were the slugs over winter. They did a number
of some H. rhapsody I had healed into the ground over the winter.
The buggetta has worked very well in controlling the slug population the last
three years.