[HWC] HOSTA WHEELS COMMITTEE image compression test 4C

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: [HWC] HOSTA WHEELS COMMITTEE image compression test 4C
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:33:36 -0400

TO: HWC ..and via BLIND COPY to HOSTA-OPEN, AHSPOL, PIXLIST, OHS MEMBERSHIP, various list-owners and etc...

HOSTA WHEELS COMMITTEE:
HAWES James Oakland MD US z5 <hawesj@gcnet.net>, KEE John Erin ON Canada z5 <junk@aztec-net.com>,
LESCH Norman Manchester MD US z6 <nalesch@missi.ncsc.mil>,
LITTLETON Preston Seaford DE z7 <plittleton@ce.net>,
MICHELETTI Tom  <tommich@hostapatch.com>
NASH William Guelph Ontario Canada z4 <raffi@sympatico.ca>
NELSON Daniel Bridgeville DE z7 <sussextreeinc@ce.net>,
PETHER Glen London England z7 <GPETHER321@aol.com>,
TEST image attached "meycw4c.jpg" i.e. 'Meyer's Hosta Wheel' version 4.0 from HWC ..and in response to:

At 03:09 PM 4/19/99 -0400, Preston Littleton <plittleton@ce.net> Member of The Hosta Wheels Committee [HWC] wrote: "Bill ..How do you get image file-size down without scanning at a lower dpi.  The Meyer Color Wheel was given to me on disk in Paint. Gif format reduces a little smaller than jpg but still leaves a file over 100k. I'd hate to print out and then have a scan but I will do what it takes.  Thanks for any help!  Preston Littleton < plittleton@ce.net Seaford DE zone 7"
======>> *RE: Meyer's Hosta Color Wheel version 4* ..here's what I've done to the original Meyer image you sent me <g> ...and I'm publishing it here, for everyone to see this First Rough Draft:

-1..-> image attached "meycw4c.jpg" is 19,597 disk-bytes by disk-storage-size; and this, will go through some list-servers like HOSTA-OPEN, AHSPOL ("onelist.com") for example, without any problem! ..I think?  Other list-servers, do not serve images to their memberships.  They convert images into MIME-TEXT format; and by this, the Email exceeds the 200-line maximum-limit restriction and e-mail is returned to sender.  SHADEGARDENS and AHS ROBIN are an example of that! ..I believe?
-2..-> screen-size of image "version 4c" attached, is centered around the '640 by 480' pixel-parameter screen-size; and this was selected, since most computer-users are sitting at this Windows-default-size.  The dpi setting was left at 96 (is not changed?).
-3..-> the original image was rotated 90 degrees; since this, puts it into PORTRAIT mode ..ready to print.  I did this, thinking some users may not know how to change their 'Page Setting' to print in LANDSCAPE format ..like Jim Hawes maybe and for example :)) LOL?
-4..-> in order to get the disk-size down below 20,000 bytes, I "CROPPED OUT" the text mumbo-jumbo instructions out of the image? ..THAT BE PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD ..me thinks?
-5..-> RE: Preston Littleton & Dan Nelson, setting up a HOSTA WHEEL WEBSITE and related to image compression question asked --  probably the first program to look at, is one from 'Plenio Software Solutions' ...called "Web Graphics Optimizer" and this, can be down-loaded <FOR FREE?> from: http://WebOpt.com
     The above "WebOpt" program works great -->> compressing images down to as small a size as wanted: and this, allows for qucker loadup-time on a Web-Site & faster modem transmission when sent through the wire.  WebOpt program also provides for image editing, putting 3D Text right on an image and works in most image formats. My default Viewer, for incoming images, is setup to load via "WebOpt" since this allows for immediate compression; image-editing; text-insertion on first-load and/or DELETE.
     BTW to COMMITTEE...I've done a test-printing of previous original "Meyer Image version 2" (the 1.44 megabyte one) ..at a Print Shop locally.  Printing was done using a color-laser printer, and image was then laminated by same people.            The cost to run 100 of these, is $300.00 Canadian, or roughly $200.00 American dollars.  This was printed directly from disk.  The print-shop doing this work, can adjust the IMAGE-SIZE to fit exactly on an [8.5" by 11"] sheet of paper, or whatever size wanted within same size.  Thought HW COMMITTEE might like to know this ..just in case you plan to sell "WHEELS" at Convention?  SEE YOU THERE! ..if some people ever get around to booking in? ..and ..LOL

hosta sincerely yours
Bill Nash Guelph ON CA z4
ps........ I've sent out Bcc's with this ..so? ..TO :->

Stuart Asch ..and BTW... "YOUR HOSTA SEED" which my wife inadvertantly hid in her Dining Room Hutch by mistake ..and found recently --> sprouted very well! ..considering, it sat in a dry & warm room for months? ..some nice streakies in their too!  SMALL PS ..stu? ..is there one garden on the tours in Michigan worth seeing? ..other than yours, or maybe Herb Benedict's? ..or should one simply register for the eat, drink & be merry "fly on the wall"  part of it? ..and take in a bit of SUMO mud-wrestling with you know who ..and the heck with looking at somebody else's landscape ideals? <just kidding>.. STUART --> see next line below...

Clyde Crockett ..you should download that 'Web Opt' program mentioned above, cuz I see your images coming through lately: are starting to get on the slow-side (quite large by disk-size?) <g> :)) ta ta...

To Y'all:
;>B))
be happy now!..
U hear?