Re: Toads: the potential answer for Jose's problems

>I don't know if toad houses are necessary.  We have so many toads that in
>the spring when they are coming out of hibernation it looks like the dirt is
>hopping out of the garden.  They do help to control the slugs, as do the
>garter snakes that we also have in abundance ( because they are feeding on
>the toads).  On the other hand we live in a rural area, surrounded by hay
>fields.  In a more urban setting you might need the cover that the toad
>houses provide.  Unfortunately they don't keep the slugs down quite as well
>as I would like, and my hostas often get chewed.  It's just something I've
>had to learn to live with, since I am reluctant to use the more potent
>poisons.  I may try diatomaceous earth this year though.
>
>Bob Campbell

I wonder if maybe there is yet something else in our yard that is eating
the slugs.  I always thought it was the toads, but perhaps there are other
creatures in the woods that we don't see, that are eating them.

Beth, you don't have to buy toad houses!  You can simply make small
shelters out of pieces of rock, if the informal look is okay in your garden.
Stacy

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b