Re: Toads and Rhinoceroses

I have thousands of toads in my garden+ACE- I do not find many small slugs,
I believe the toads may eat them. However, I don't think the toads eat
the largest slugs. I go out at night and spray the large ones with a 15+ACU-
ammonia/ 85+ACU- water mix in a 1 quart pump bottle. This mix doesn't seem
to hurt the hostas one bit.

Can anyone tell me where all of these toads come from?

 I live half a mile from the nearest stream or pond. I think my toads
are leopard toads, they do not get very large.

I also find inch and a half long, bright shiny black beetles with a pair
of large pincers. I wonder if these beetles feed on slugs. Those pincers
don't look like  they were designed for vegetation.

I am also blessed with rhinoceros beetles. They are one inch long and
have quite a large single horn. Really neat looking. I find them in
groups of 10 to 25 around an ash tree.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc+AEA-ce.net
+AD4-
+AD4-I wonder if maybe there is yet something else in our yard that is
eating
+AD4-the slugs.  I always thought it was the toads, but perhaps there are
other
+AD4-creatures in the woods that we don't see, that are eating them.
+AD4-
+AD4-Stacy Holtzman
+AD4-Howard Hughes Medical Institute
+AD4-Bloomington, Indiana Z5b
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo+AEA-mallorn.com with the
+AD4-message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN