Re: Wide Brim streaked...

>Take William Lachman.........it has been around for yonks and its
>margined sport has only just got a name..........Fond Memories.

Some streaked plants are going to be stable for quite some time.  I
have some streaked seedlings from last year and one appears to be
staying nicely streaked while another one is quickly turning into an
all green form.  Fascination is a difficult one for me to keep in the
streaked form.   The all green form is nice, but nothing exceptional,
and it will occasionally revert back to a streaked form.  I have a
cream centered variegated form that is nice, but how many other people
also have the same form?

>Additionally if as seems likely only one streakie is named from each
>(stable) cultivar I dont see the problem that some mention,

IF, IF, IF, that's the big question!  One of the main problems with
hostas is that the same sports show up in different gardens.  Some of
these people don't know that other people also have the same sport, so
the same plant ends up with multiple names.  Personally, I see no
reason for naming a streaked form of an otherwise stable mono-colored
or variegated hosta as the streaked form is going to be unstable.
This isn't to say the plant shouldn't be sold.  Right now I have a
plant of Whirlwind that looks like it will turn into a streaked form.
If I can get a 100% streaked form, and it's reasonably stable when
propagated, and I decided to sell it, I would just sell it as
Whirlwind Streaked Form.

Joe Halinar