Re: Zillis' Book

jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us writes:

<< I have been hoping to get this great book for at least 25 years now. >>

I know you have been waiting a long time John, but I know Mark pretty well
and 25 years ago he was still in graduate school and 24 years ago (1976) he
had only started his first tissue culture work in graduate school with trees
and shrubs.  It was 1978 when Mark first tissue-cultured a hosta.

The first hosta that Mark measured was in 1981 at the Iowa City
Mini-convention and he was doing it to make sure the measurements in the
catalogue for Walters Gardens was correct.  It was in 1983 that he decided to
start taking measurements with the intention of printing the results in a
book. (Thus, it has been 17 years so John, you are close!)

As I am trying to get a book review of Mark's book for the next Journal I
have been bugging him weekly about getting a copy to Warren Pollock to
review.  Mark finally was able to get a copy mailed out to Warren today.  I
just talked to Mark about an hour ago.

Mark is a perfectionist and to show how great a guy Mark is; he received the
first 500 copies of the book from the bindery today rather than ship them off
to the advance purchasers he had the sense to check them first and, as often
happens in the book business, they (the bindery) screwed it up and the last
few pages in most of the books wouldn't open.  Mark has had them start the
process over and get it right.  Luckily he was able to get one copy that was
mostly "openable" to Warren for me so it will be reviewed in the next issue
of the Journal.

Mark is looking out for us making sure the books are the best they can be!

Kevin P. Walek