Re: Drought Resistant Hostas---Also H. 'Revolution'

Ray W wrote:

> The page you marked has an office listed in Beltsville,
> Maryland. Maybe Chick could make a call Monday and clear this all up. How about
> it Chick?

I hardly think so.  I have far better things to do than spend time on the phone
with bureaucrats.  Bruce's explanation is enough for me until I decide to patent a
plant, then I think it would be wise to speak to a professional.  Meanwhile, I'll
just do what I've always done, respect the rights of the person patenting the

As far as I'm concerned, and I know there are some who disagree, patenting is the
only answer for those who do not want others to market their plants without
compensation.  I know there is expense and bureaucracy involved, but I think that
once you sell a plant to someone without a patent, you have sold the right to do
anything the buyer wants to do with it.  Even if you make arrangements with someone
to market the plant and pay you a royalty, without a patent there is no way to
assure your marketer, who presumably will have to invest time and money in
producing your plant, that someone else won't come along and put it out too.