Re: [hostapix] Pycno discussion continued (delete if not interested)

As Ran knows, another one of his seedlings, that he allowed me to sellect from his beds several years ago, as a gift to use in my hybridizing, which is a gold which remains gold and does not have the tendence of some pycnos to bleach white, heavily rippled and serrated edge with significant red on the petioles and the scapes, will be coming to market in the near future.  So many people asked about it in my garden that I felt it should be made available.

Ran and Peter, since there was some uncertainty if it was from Ran's seedlings or Peter's, have given me permission to let the rest of you get your hands on it for breeding purposes.  (PS, Ran, after I talked to Peter last week he thinks it is really yours and not his so you are getting the "O" credit on the registration)  It has been registered as "Gilt by Association", with multiple meanings, first to honor my late friend Rick Thompson as our last phone call was about using pyncnos to get red leafed hostas which was one of his dreams, (also the red, white and blue possibility that has been discussed).  Second to honor the friendship of Peter and Ran to agree to share the plant (hence the "by association" applies to Rick, Ran and Peter)  The "Gilt" is a play on words with my being a lawyer, but also that the plant is gold and Gilt is an old English term for putting a layer of gold onto something.  It recently won best seedling at the Potomac Hosta Club's (Cut-Leaf) Hosta Show!
 and Craig Stevens, who is the Hosta Journal Convention Editor and judged that show has been begging me for a piece, but he will have to wait and get his when everyone else does.  It has been placed in TC and ahould be available either Fall 2001, or Spring 2002.

Also for those that are wondering the Guardian Angel sport that I bid on and won at the convention has been registered with the name "Fallen Angel".  I will explain that later.  And it will be the convention "gift" plant at the 2003 National Convention which will be hosted by the Potomac Hosta Club.

For those of you that didn't see it, I will tell you the "long story" behind it.  Guardian Angel, (along with Angel Eyes and several similar spots of Blue Angel), was discovered by Rick Thompson in a batch of plants he had obtained from Mobjack nursery, a wholesaler in Northern, VA.  They have a whitish/misted center that is somewhat viridescent, depending the level of light.

About two years ago I spotted a sport of GA at Bob Solberg's where the entire leaf was the center variegation of GA, but instead of being viridescent the leafs started blue and got the variegation later.  I begged Bob for the plant every time I visited and he just said we would wait and see.  Well, on Thursday afternoon of the convention in Minneapolis I went to help Bob at his booth and saw the plant of my dreams under the table and I said "you aren't selling that to anyone else without letting me get a shot at it?"  and he said "we will see."  On Friday night, when Don Dean came around to the vendors to get auction plants it became clear to me what was happening and that I was going to become a bidder at the auction.  I didn't have enough money with me so I asked Floyd Broussard my Potomac Hosta Club vice President if he would like to become partners on a plant.  Well we won the plant, the society got a good sized donation and all of you that attend the 2003 convention wil g!
et a plant that we feel will be a sgood as the 1995 gift plant we gave -- Potomac Pride.

As to the name -- I had named it when I first saw it because it has no edge -- so an Angel without its edge (wings) has to fall.  Since it came from Guardian Angel which was registered by Rick Thompson who passed away at a young age from a stroke, he too was a Fallen Angel and finally due to the color change during the season it is an indicator of a Fallen Angel. -- Well enough stories for one day.