Re: My sentiments exactly

RE:>> Accolades for the boyz
This recipe for successful growing is born by many members of the American
Hosta Growers Association (AHGA).  I do not want to, in any way, detract
from the strength of these accolades for Gary and Jack and their obviously
fine operation.  I do, however, want to toot my horn for some of MY
suppliers who are ALSO wonderful growers.  Since so many list members are
providing testimonials, I might as well join in the fray for it seems like
some of you don't buy too many Hostas!

I have received THOUSANDS of plants this season, all through mail order
shipments (mostly wholesale) and from numerous vendors; Bob Solberg
(Greenhill Farms), John Lanier (Miss Vitro), Dave and Marsha Conner's
(Conner Nursery & Gardens), Shady Oaks Nurseries, Q & Z Nursery, Ron Snyder
(Creative Gardens) and others (who are now feeling badly for not being
mentioned--it is not intentional).  Most, if not all, are members of the
AHGA.  This organization has worked hard to improve the quality of the
product that is now available to the ultimate consumer.

Yes, the Hostaboyz do an excellent job.  And I don't even know if they HAVE
a supplier--maybe they do ALL their own propagation work right there on the
premises.  I can tell you, however, that the biggest and best plants are
coming from ALL over the country and not only from Washington.  A lot of
this is due to the unselfish disseminating of information from people from
ALL manner of going/growing concerns.  I can assure you, the quality will
continue to improve in the product coming from ALL AHGA members because of
the commitment of the membership to enhance the quality in the product,
which is for the benefit of the entire ornamental, horticulture industry.
 There just aren't any growers that are trying to produce a worse product
even though there are a whole host who could benefit from some of the latest
information, my little hosta patch included.

I'm sure Jack and Gary have some secrets, but then so do these other folks,
judging from  what I've seen... Don't even think about the center of the
Hosta universe moving out there to Washington, even if the scales have
tipped a little in that direction...

Andrew Lietzow
The Emerging Hostaholic

At every given moment on a continuum between plant killer and plant grower,
trying to learn how to do it better so that the squirrels, voles, rabbits,
and slugs will have something good to eat before winter.....if I don't kill
'em ALL first.  Anyone have a good recipe for pickeled squirrel?  I heard
once upon a time that it was excellent and I hate killing things if I'm not
going to eat them, though I'm having a little trouble with the concept of
squirrels as food.  Somebody help me out here....