Re: plants suppliers

Chris,
I have had some VERY interesting experiences with local vendors, three of
whom will remain unnamed.
A couple of times I was at the vendors place of business, wanting to
purchase specific plants that I needed.
I asked, "do you have the yada, yada, yada Hosta?" and the owner says, yes I
have yada, and we look and we
find it.  Maybe there are three pots.  I look them over and then say, "How
much?".  The owner says, "Well, how
about $X", and I say, fine.  Then I look them over to see which plant I want
to take for $X and the owner says, "Well,
not for that one.  I won't sell you that one for $X".  What's strange is
that this happened on two different trips.  I
avoid that place like the plaque now and will only go there if desparate.
As a marketing person, this seems goofy and
the so called "local shop advantage" is no advantage at all at this place.

A similar situation happened at another place where they dig the plants as
you want them.  The prices tend to be
fair, but when you say, "I'd like that one", they say, "No, I need to move
these at the end (that are all burnt up) first".

The saddest part about mail order from a nursery owner perspective is that
the nursery knows which are currently the
best items, growing the strongest and looking the best.  However, trying to
get the buying public to choose some of
those just doesn't happen.

>>The cheaper price isn't always a bargain.
Point well taken.  Of course, if the buyer realizes this up front it helps.
Many people are trying to purchase more
varieties rather than larger plants, so this makes a big difference.
Unfortunately, Steve Greene does not, and is not
able to, list plant sizes in the Hosta Finder.   Generally, the more
established vendors offer the larger stock but they
eventually run out of space for expansion.  Then they have trouble keeping
up with the newer additions.  And of course,
the newer additions are smaller because the plants have not been growing for
all that long.  The way I look at it, as long
as it lives, I've made a good transaction because I know the market before I
buy the plant.

>>We have altogether to many choices when purchasing plants.
In vendors or in plants, or both?

Andrew Lietzow
The Emerging Hostaholic becoming cognizant that in two days, it will be the
first of September.   Wow....