Re: an iris question

  • Subject: Re: an iris question
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:40:17 -0500

	Narda...I just got my new AIS Bulletin yesterday and was
commenting to my husband on a full page ad for a new iris borer
deterrent (non-toxic)...it prevents the moth (that becomes the borer)
from laying its eggs on the plant.  The ad says 98% effective in 5
years of field testing.  web site:
www.gardenshield.com    phone # for questions: 866-690-4001 or to order:
866-690-4000.  I have always heard that west coast iris nurseries are
borer-free and therefore we have always ordered new iris from that
area and have been very  happy with Schreiners, Cooleys (the two
"biggies") Keppel, and Aitkin.
I don't know if you would need to treat the soil.  We have never had
iris borers and so have no personal experience.  We grow quite a few
irises, TB, IB, BB,
MDB, MSB, MTB, etc.  also my favorite. siberian iris and a few
Japanese but have never gotten the soil acid enough for them to do
Linda Kofstad