naming plants

  • Subject: naming plants
  • From: bob <bobaxe@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 09:26:38 -0500

Good morning
	I was adding descriptions to the n section of the library just now and
came across nigrescens 'elatior' plus someone contacted me this morning
and said urajiro and urajiro hachijo should be added to the longipes
section of the library. Are these plants found in the wild and follow
Bill's rule which makes sense to me or are they using species names for
some other reason.
	To me this is important, if someone is looking in the library for some
plant how are they going to know to look under nigrescens for 'elatior'
and other examples of using the species names so there at least ought to
be a good reason for it. The library description says elatior was
developed, not found.
	What is the official AHS rules on this?
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/
                Hosta Library http://hostalibrary.org/