Re: naming plants

  • Subject: Re: naming plants
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 13:26:14 -0400

Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that you may consider that you have a
problem when differing opinions are sent to you to suggest differing names for
plants under discussion. I would look on this as an opportunity to resolve the
tfferences of opinion to arrive at a "closer to truth" answer to the differenct
views. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big  pain in the rear.  If,  for
example, you have a plant named 'Hokuryu' in the library( which you do) , and I
present the notion that it is misspelled...that the correct spelling is 'Kokuryu',
and I present evidence that I have this plant, that I obtained it from Toyozo
Nakayama in Japan on a trade on such and such a date, that my label is clear and
legible, that  he informs me that this plant was collected in the wild by Mr.
Kurasawa , that it is a H. rectifolia selection, that it has a red flower, that
only two other people have it...Pete Ruh and Van Wade, as well as other convincing
information about this plant, you are most likely to believe me instead of someone
else who does not have such evidence or information. Resolution of differences of
opinion can become interesting topics of discussion on Hosta-open  which can be
very educational. Any conflict which arises can even be positive in helping us
remember the correct spelling of this hostas as well as some of its history and its
characteristics. . It is really not your responsibility to resolve these name
issues. I think you should make changes in names only in cases where there is
concensus regarding new facts and/or  clear evidence is presented by  many
knowledgeable people of what are the facts and what is mere opinion.

So be happy that the Hosta Library and its work in updating or making corrections
can serve as a very positive excercise in learning more about hostas.

Jim