Re: Reaction Dynamics

  • Subject: Re: Reaction Dynamics
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:18:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/01 3:44:56 PM, hawesj@atlantic.net writes:

<< Bob,

I am amazed at the variable answers that one gets to a simple question.
You raised a simple question yesterday regarding the darned confusion
for use of species names on some plants which are not species but
hybrids, such as H. montana 'Mountain Snow' . You received three
selection from  wild montana populations in Japan, a second from Mike
Lemke indicating a reason is not necessary, and a third from Holland
which suggested keeping the species name. No reason was given  for the
suggestions from Holland. I assumed they were  based on the assumptions
that  >>

Mr. Hawes:

Almost 48 hours has passed and no one has responded to your above letter.
Moments ago  a list of the members of the Hostapix group was published.  One
thing is certain that it contains more readers than writers.  I can see why
no one wants to tackle your knowledge of hostas.  However somewhere along the
line we must get this down to a level we all can understand.

You did not show a sign of excitement with my plain statement that there does
not have to be a reason."  I will hang with that statement and add to it
≠≠there are many reasons.' As you know from the start of hostas naming and
registrations the rules have been changed many times. This gives us a
constant supply of issues to discuss which leads to nowhere. Our list of
readers and writers tells us that most are not even slightly interested.

I started my hosta data bank some ten years ago.  The form has changed many
times as more information became available.  The third section is called the
reference section in which I quote the pages where information can be found.
When you read thru, Schmid, Aden, Bond, Grenfell, Fisher , Zilis etc. you
will find much confusing and contradicting statements.  Hence, we then have a
constant sifting of the information to sort out what is fact and what might
be fiction.  From all this I can not come up with any simple rules to go by.

One of the things we learned at an early date in the US Army was:    Yours is
to do or die, not the reason why.

So we know what the job ahead is; So lets just go ahead and do it for one
reason or another.