botanical nomenclature

  • Subject: botanical nomenclature
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:23:17 -0500

Hi, list members,

I am relatively new to the hosta world and certainly know nothing
about botanical nomenclature, but I can read!
The introduction to the LIST OF REGISTERED CULTIVARS, on p.iv, says
"cultivar names follow the rules of the International Code for
Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants".  On p. iii it says funding and
support for publication [including supplements] are provided by the
American Hosta Society.  Registration is an  INTERNATIONAL process,
so if a hybridizer from Japan or Germany, etc. is the one to register
a particular hosta, obviously they would name it in the language of
their own country.  On p. v, the species selections/cultivars which
are registered are listed:  e.g. H. nigrescens 'Elatior'  (near the
bottom of the page.  nigrescens is in italics.  So despite my being a
newbie (please forgive me for saying this!), it appears that is the
correct way to list this hosta under recent discussion.
However, I also notice H. montana 'Praeflorens'   ...and I believe
that has been changed to H. montana 'Macrophylla'?  So am I opening a
new can of worms?
Maybe I need to practice my reading a little more!

Linda Kofstad