Fw: HORTICULTURE: Your word of the day from www.yourdictionary.com

  • Subject: Fw: HORTICULTURE: Your word of the day from www.yourdictionary.com
  • From: "Kay McKinnon" <kay@gatecom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 06:50:20 -0400

Since we're defining words today, this came through as my "Word of the Day".
Note the term "fussier plants" ;-)
Love the etymology of the words they deliver to my mail box every day.
It's going to be another HOT one here in SE Michigan.
Kay McKinnon

>Today's Word: Horticulture (Noun)
>
>Pronunciation: ['hor-t-kl-chUr or -chr]
>
>Definition 1: The science (or art) of growing fruits, vegetables, flowers
and ornamental plants; the cultivation of a garden.

>Usage 1: Horticulture isn't synonymous with agriculture. "Agriculture"
denotes working with the soil to grow crops. As we have seen from today's
definition, horticulture has to do with fussier plants that require more
individual attention. One who follows this pursuit is a horticulturist; the
adjective is "horticultural" and the adverb, "horticulturally."

>Suggested Usage: "Horticulture" is the elevated alternative to gardening,
"Terence will lead you to believe he has a sophisticated grasp of
horticulture but he barely knows enough to stake up his tomato plants." You
may use this word as an emphatic alternative for gardening: "Oh yes, my
nephew, the horticulturist; he knows so much horticulture he dug up all his
fescue and left the crab grass in his front yard."

>Etymology: This word was borrowed from Latin hortus "garden" + cultura
"cultivation." The Proto-Indo-European stem, *gher-dho-/*ghor-dho- "enclose"
bore the English words "yard," "orchard" (from Late Latin [h]ortis + yard),
and "gard-en," which in German is the "Garten," found in Kindergarten, the
garden where children grow. In the Slavic languages this stem emerged as
Serbian and Old Slavonic grad "city" (as in "Leningrad") and Russian gorod
"city." In Greek the root *ghor- without the suffix emerged as khoros
"dance, chorus" (via "dancing enclosure?"). (YDC thanks Thomas Regehn for
setting out today's word in our lexical garden.)

you, just go to http://www.yourdictionary.com:80/cgi-bin/spread.cgi .

>To have the Word of the Day sent to you every day, to unsubscribe, or
change your subscription, go to
http://register.yourdictionary.com:80/cgi-bin/register.cgi .