Re: elatior

  • Subject: Re: elatior
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:01:06 -0400

Hi Bob,
         I haven't had a chance to look through Lu's database yet, but will
soon. I'm pretty sure that the species name is used to show that the plant
is a sport or seedling selection (non-hybrid) of a pure species plant, at
least that is the intention, and that this is optional. I'm no expert on
nomenclature though. Some of these are still hanging around from the old
days (when there were only a few hostas) and are not necessarily correct.
         Because of the importance of the HostaLibrary, with it probably
being the most referenced source of hosta information today, I think Jim
Wilkins should be the one to call the shots officially on whether a name is
correct or not. If he's away, he'll be back soon enough. Let's wait and see
what he has to say.

...............Bill Meyer