Re: Nematodes

  • Subject: Re: Nematodes
  • From: EntICE11@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 21:37:12 EDT

Alas it is that time of year. And I heard another possibility for the non
professional person to try.
Back to bleach again. a 30% beach and rest water. I think Jean heard it
directly..so if I am wrong Jean please correct me. Dunk the Hosta when it has
gone dormant for about 10 minutes in that solution, and replant in fresh dirt
and I would expect to pour the left over solution on the soil.
I too have found some in my gardens this year. A Tiara of course.
I think I am going to try and experiment. 50/50 solution right over the plant
and the soil and see what happens. If it kills the plant..it is easy to
replace... if I do. If not next year they go in the fire pit, soil included.
Now is the time to check the gardens out carefully. Remember the home test
you can do. A leaf cut up in small pcs, in some water(a couple of drops). Let
sit about 20 minutes. Put on black cloth and use a good magnifying glass or
Some small and white moving? ...that is nematodes. Is that right Steve? I
think that is how you explained it to me.
Creative Gardens in Wilmar Minnesota cuts their leaves down at the end of
summer to help prevent problems. I started last year. Sounded like a good
idea to me.
Hope some of this helps.

Paula Pierce