Re: Misspellings

  • Subject: Re: Misspellings
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:00:47 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/01 2:59:59 AM, zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< In my opinion it would make the Lemke list much more manegable
if all clear misspellings ( not  real alternatives) are left out.  eg it
should be Moerheim  or H " Fortunei Moerheim" not Moorhemii  etc
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands
Fax: 31-71-5274999
-- >>

We thank you for your opinion. We stand by our system of using any
misspellings that we find in the various sources used.   The computer can
only find names as they are spelled.  From that we code errors by using the
sign 'ES' such as ID 266-ES Blue Wedgewood to indicate an error in spelling
of ID 266-RC Blue Wedgwood.  I find it very hard to keep it simple enough
that the computer can sort thru it and yet keep it so that people who are not
college professors can use it.

The correct spelling of "Moorheimii' is giving everyone fits.  I used the
spelling as found in the Zilis book to perhaps be the correct one. My guess
is his book will be used for reference purposes more than any other hosta
book now in print.  If the people from Europe can't agree on how to spell it,
how can I come to any conclusion. I guess what is important is that they find
information concerning 'Moorheimii' someway or an other. We can debate this
issue till the 'cows come home a wagging their tails.

You will note that I use 'Zonneveld Hosta Sports' in my reference section.  I
hope you spelled everything correctly.

Have a great day,