Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #36

  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #36
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

>Someone earlier today mentioned something about do we need any more
>hostas. I guess if we don't need different model cars every year or
>the lastest clothes we don't need different or new hostas. I actually
>think we have yet to see the best hostas.

I don't know how many hostas are needed, but I do know that the search
for the "best" hosta will continue.  If you were starting a hosta
business selling to the average backyard hybridizer you probably could
get away with 50 good hostas, although 100 might be more reasonable,
and for a big mail order catalog like Wayside or Parks, 20 or 30
hostas would do.  There is quite a bit of variation within the hosta
genus, so there is still a lot of potential for developing good
hostas.  The problem I see is that a lot of hybridizers don't apply
high enough standards for their selection process.  But then, everyone
has different ideas of what is nice.

Joe Halinar