Re: Thoughts for the day

  • Subject: Re: Thoughts for the day
  • From: "H. WILLIAMS" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:50:29 -0400

Mary Chastain wrote:

> I have drawn a conclusion that it could well be the flavor of the plant
> rather than being a lack of substance.

Mary, This makes a great deal of sense. Whether it's flavour, pheromones
or perhaps scent, something makes one plant more attractive as food. I
know I am a mosquito magnet... My daughter never gets bitten although we
will both be in the same area at the same time, while I will later count
several dozen bites.

I've noted in the garden, that I have a few hostas that due to a lack of
substance, you would expect to see damaged leaves, however they are
pretty much untouched, yet there is a slug population in the bed and on
neighbouring plants.

Perhaps in addition to looking at which plants attract the insects, one
could also try to isolate the reason some remain problem free, in spite
of thin leaves and a lack of substance?

>Through careful breeding we might save the good and remove the bad.

Now that sounds like a worthwhile goal!

Helen