Re: Thoughts for the day

  • Subject: Re: Thoughts for the day
  • From: "H. WILLIAMS" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:19:51 -0400

bob wrote:
>         I know this isn't quite the same but I never really believed colors
> attract insects but while trying to photograph those sphinx moths, I
> watch them try to take nector from a picture of a flower on a tag. The
> only thing it has going for it is it is red. They fly over and check it

Hi Bob,

That's really something... Apparently alot of insects are attracted by
colors and patterns. Saw a show on it once. Also, they see colors
differently (on a different wave length or something) than we do. Some
flowers when viewed under special lights show really wild patterns which
it is believed guide the insect in to the  nectar. Also, (speaking of my
current pet peeve... :-(... ) white flies and fungus gnats are very
attracted to yellow, so a sheet of yellow paper covered in something
sticky like glue, or vaseline catches them when they land on it.

Do you think the variegation or colours in hosta might make a